Sunday, November 25, 2012

Summarization Unit #2/TV Craftivity

Hello bloggy friends!

Wanted to give you a heads up that I just added a TON of stuff to my TPT store--it has basically doubled!  I hope to post about each of the Units as I use them in my classroom, so today, I want to tell you about my new Summarization Unit.




Included in this Unit are several activities to help you teach Summarization:
-Graphic organizer to use with ANY story with two types of writing lines

-Hobbies Writing Activity (You can download this in the "preview" of my unit on TPT for free!)

-Favorite Show or Movie Writing Activity: this has a Graphic Organizer and writing pages, but if you'd like you can just make....

-TV Craftivity:  Students will write their summaries of their Favorite TV shows or movies on this fun craft!

-Take-Home Project for Oral Summaries to be presented in class, with a rubric and letter home to parents.

We completed the activities in this unit, and I thought that it went really well.  I tried to think of ways that students may use summarization in their "everyday lives" that may be easier for them to think of--like telling their friends about their hobbies and favorite tv shows.  Then, they can use the skills from these activities and apply them to stories that you're reading in the classroom.

My favorite part of the unit was making the TVs.  They turned out really cute!  


I did include this as a separate activity in my TPT store, too, so you can check that out, as well.


And of course...I am so excited to be taking part in the Cyber Monday Sale on TPT!


Have a great week!!

1 comment:

  1. Aaarrggh! I just finished my blog post awarding you the Leibster Award lol! Feel free to ignore :) If you would like to check out the post hop on over
    http://poultneytania.blogspot.com.au/2012/11/sale-and-award.html

    Tania
    Mrs Poultney's Ponderings

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments! :)