Let me start off this post with a little background information for those of you who may not be "familiar" with Virginia Standards...
In Virginia, we do not use the Common Core Standards. We have our own set of Standards called "Standards of Learning," otherwise known as "SOLs." (Someone had a sense of humor...) ;) Last year, we got new MATH standards. My district did not purchase any new math materials to go along with the new math standards, so we were at a loss for how to teach some of these new topics that we had not had to teach before--namely, equality/inequality. Since it was our first year with the standards, we also didn't know how they were going to be assessed. It was very difficult for my sweeties to understand. With last year's experience under our belts PLUS a new Math Series, I thought for sure we'd be more prepared to teach equality/inequality with more resources. WRONG! Our new Math series barely gives us a page of problems to do. I knew that I needed to come up with something to help teach it, as well as have some actual practice because I couldn't find any sort of practice pages online or on TPT.
With that being said...I bring you my newest "unit" that I created today. I tried to use a lot of the "language" of our Math Standard, but also making it "kid-friendly." I just realized it's my FIRST Math Unit on TPT!
I am SO loving Teri's fonts from A Cupcake for the Teacher!
There are a variety of practice pages that you can do--from something that would be more guided practice to pencil/paper practice to cut/sort/glue practice. I will be using these for whole group and independent work, but I know I also needed something that I could send home for Homework, so these practice pages will definitely help with that.
I also made a simple sorting center game that you could also use as a small group activity. Print and laminate the equations, then the students will sort the equations into = or ≠. After sorting, they will fill out a corresponding Recording Sheet.
I'm excited to also be offering a sale in my TeachersPayTeachers store!! :) Since I'm a little behind on the party, my 20% off sale will be 10/27-10/29. Click {HERE} to go to my store. :)
Wish me luck, as we are right on the edge of Hurricane Sandy's path. Fingers crossed for safety and not losing electricity!!! For the rest of you East Coasters, please stay safe!! Hopefully, we will all be back together again soon. :)






I'm so glad you could use my fonts!! Thank you for the shout-out :)
ReplyDelete❤Teri
A Cupcake for the Teacher
This whole having different standards than most of the country makes it a bit frustrating sometimes when looking for resources. By the way, I started a facebook page for VA teacher bloggers and would LOVE for you to come join it!
ReplyDeletehttp://www.facebook.com/pages/VA-Teacher-Bloggers/294987317271984?ref=hl
Don't Let The Teacher Stay Up Late