Next week, I will introduce Sequencing to my sweeties. You know how much kids LOVE incorporating food into their "work." This also goes hand in hand with our Virginia Standards of Learning that emphasizes following directions/putting recipes in the correct order. Since I couldn't find anything in Reading Street with the recipe emphasis, I created this new unit to use as a supplement to my Reading Street instruction.
(I am lovin' me some Scrappin' Doodles clipart!
Then, we will read "Pearl and Wagner" from RS and will use a Sequencing Graphic Organizer to discuss the sequence of the story.
On Tuesday, I will use a Laura Numeroff book as a read aloud, and we will put words/phrases from the story in order. We will use those words/phrases to help retell the story. Unfortunately, I don't have any of that to share because I lost my electronic copy of the activities when my jump drive was destroyed. We will also do a few Sequencing pages from the Reading Street Practice Workbook.
In small groups, I will use the S'Mores Sequencing activities from my unit as a differentiated activity. In this activity, I have created a variety of versions of "How to Make S'Mores" so you can use them with different ability levels. You can choose from:
-Just sorting pictures.
-Match the directions to the pictures.
-Match the pictures to the directions.
-Writing Activities: write with picture clues or without picture clues
On Wednesday, we will listen to "The Very Hungry Caterpillar" by Eric Carle. You can listen/watch Eric Carle read this book {here}. Then, we will use Sequencing Cards from DLTK to put the story events in order. Last year, we glued the cards onto a sentence strip, then used the sentence strips to help retell the story to a partner. To conclude, we will do a few Sequencing pages from the Reading Street Practice Workbook.
Thursday, the students will complete the "How to Make Cookies" activity. For this whole group activity, I will have the students sort the picture cards, then complete the writing activity where they will have to write the steps to make the cookies. Just like the S'Mores activity, there are also choices for how you can use this activity in your classroom:
-Just sorting pictures.
-Match the directions to the pictures.
-Match the pictures to the directions.
-Writing Activities: write with picture clues or without picture clues
Friday, I will assess. I put together a few paragraphs that students will need to read and then answer questions about the sequence of events in each story. There is also a selection where the students will read the story then number the "mixed-up" events.
As a special "fun Friday" treat, you could bring in the ingredients to make one of these recipes for your class. You could also do a different "kid-friendly" recipe to show how to apply this week's skills. We do the "Snazzy Snack" idea that's out there the last Friday of each month if our behavior has been good ALL month--I found the idea on Mrs. Bainbridge's site, but I believe she found it from someone else, too. (Google it if you want more info.)
If you'd like to check out my unit, click {here}. It will be on SALE until Sunday, 10/21 until 7pm Eastern time. :)
I am charging my camera now so that I can hopefully remember to take pictures as we work through this unit this week. I hope to be back soon with more updates, a new Summarization Unit that comes with a cute craftivity, and more pictures!
Have a great rest of your weekend!





I just found your blog and saw that you were another VA blogger! How exciting! I teach near Richmond.
ReplyDeleteDon't Let The Teacher Stay Up Late