Saturday, May 19, 2012

D...E...F...G...H... :)

The ABC countdown to the end of school continues in the midst of state testing.  I'm not sure how it is at YOUR schools, but when we have testing, we have to basically stay in our rooms (except for Lunch) until testing is over.  Because of an extended amount of time in the classroom that we usually don't get, I get a little bit of extra time to add some "fun" activities.  This countdown has really helped me come up with ideas without too much trouble!

Sooo...Monday was Dinosaur Day.  We started off our day by singing "Dinosaur Boogie" from Dr. Jean.  Then, since we were studying about Nonfiction Text Features this week, so we read a Nonfiction book about Dinosaurs, making sure to point out all those fun features, and discussing their differences--especially between Table of Contents, Glossary, and Index.  In Math, we made Symmetrical Dinosaur drawing.  I was really surprised at how nicely these turned out, especially since Monday was our first day learning about Symmetry.


Tuesday was Earth Superhero Day.  We read "My Earth Day Birthday," then the students wrote about how they could be Earth Superheros, finally, they made their own Earth Superheroes.  I had originally found this idea the DAY BEFORE Earth Day HERE and had wanted to do it then, but I am glad that I waited because IT TOOK FOREVER!!!  Had I not had all the extra time due to testing, this would've taken DAYS.  It took way too long for the kids to trace the stencils, cut everything out, then glue it all together.  Note to self in the furture--for this activity, have everything pre-cut ahead of time.  Despite the time intensive process, they turned out REALLY cute.

Unfortunately, I forgot to take pictures of these, soooo....I'll do that next week and post them. :) 

Wednesday was Fitness Day.  We talked about WHY we need to be fit and how we can be fit.  Then, we did a Math-themed Exercise DVD.

Thursday was Game Day; however, we also had our Field Trip to the Strawberry Patch, so we didn't have too much time for games.  I may have convinced my sweeties that a Glyph about the Field Trip (from Denise at Sunny Days in Second Grade ) was a game...but just in case, we played a few rounds of Four Corners before we started packing up.  I'll try to remember to take some pics of those glyphs, too.  (Ugh...a lost camera=less pictures...)

Friday was Horton Day.  I just LOVE "Horton Hears a Who" and the message it tells, so we naturally read the book, then we completed a survey and graphing activity, which led into creating these pretty cute Horton Glyphs.

Excited that we have 4 days of school this week!  Will post more updates soon!! 


1 comment:

  1. As a looping teacher, I'm always looking for new ideas. I love your Horton Day... my kiddos never seem to get tired of Dr. Seuss!

    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments! :)