Monday, February 8, 2016

I'm baaaaack!

I can't believe it has been since July of 2015 that I last updated...I'd like to say that a lot has changed since my last post, but not really.  As a family, we have decided that I need to get "more into" blogging and creating for my TPT store.  I think this will help me to feel more fulfilled as a teacher who LOVES to share and gives me a chance to be creative.  As a result, I'm hoping to update a lot more often with all kinds of ideas that have been going on in 2nd grade. :)

On my last post (in July---WOW!), I made a few reflections from the last year...I'd like to take a moment to go back and check in on how I'm doing.

In reflecting on my reflections from my last post...
5 Things I want to try/change for this year!
1.  Structure of my reading block--I am diving in headfirst into the Daily 5.  I'm a little nervous because it seems like such a HUGE undertaking, but we'll get through it!


*YES, I have been doing an adapted version of the Daily 5!!  I'll be doing a blog post on this soon because I feel like this is TOO MUCH to dive into right now.

2.  My classroom decor:  Since I came into the classroom after school had already started, my room was already "set up".  I'm really thankful to whomever did that for me because it was one less thing I had to worry about last year.  I never got to changing it, though.  I moved in some of my things, threw out/gave away a bunch of things, but I'm still working.  I'm excited to make my classroom "mine" this year with all of MY decorations.

*YES!!  I took some time before school started and customized my classroom--only to be told by the fire marshall that I have way too much stuff hanging up on my walls.  Did you know only 20% (or maybe it's 30%) of your walls can be covered with "stuff"?  That includes bulletin board paper!  He suggests painting everything on the walls...not sure if that will happen.  A heads up before I did all that decorating would've been nice....But OH WELL!  I'll be trying to think of creative ideas for how to decorate with less while still maintaining a fun atmosphere.

3.  MORE FLUENCY INSTRUCTION!!!  I'm really hoping D5 will help me with this, but I am hoping to focus more on Fluency Instruction.

*Maybe??  I have been doing more direct fluency instruction than I have in the past.  I've done some phrase reading, and my class LOVES Readers Theaters.  We even did a SUPER cute Thanksgiving Readers Theater for all the classes in my school and for our Thanksgiving Feast.  The kiddos loved traveling to all of their previous teachers, seeing older and younger siblings, and venturing "UPSTAIRS" to read to the upper grades (3rd and 4th).  Most recently, we did a Famous Americans week of Readers Theaters that I'm going to bridge into a biographies project coming up in a few weeks (Let's all face it---most teachers just try to "get by" around Valentine's Day!)  With that being said, I'd like to do a little more fluency instruction in our routine.

4.  Glue sponges--Will hopefully help on those Interactive Notebooks!


*YES!  We have glue sponges.  I have found that I am more reliant on glue sticks, though.  I think that the idea of glue sponges is great, but it is hard to sometimes use them with large pieces of paper or only the tabs that need glued for INBs.  Sometimes I forget that I even have them!

5.  HOMEWORK!  I've been thinking about this for a long time, and I have the tools to do it....I'm thinking about doing a WHOLE NEW ROUTINE.

*Yes and No....I have reverted back to the standard Math practice page for whichever skill we just did in class that day; HOWEVER, I have implemented the use of Spelling Notebooks.  Students choose from a "menu" of homework choices that we all practiced at the beginning of the year together.  This has drastically cut down on my time because I'm not copying packets.  I'm also hearing a lot of good feedback from parents, too, because I included several ideas for how to practice spelling words that doesn't require "written" practice.  Many of my boys use these choices, as well as students who have ADHD.  Overall, Spelling has improved.  I'd like to think that student choice has a lot to do with it. :) I'll include more about how I incorporate spelling practice into my classroom on a different post.



So not too bad!!!
I had 5 goals, and I have been working on most of them, in some capacity, over the past half year.  Room for improvement?  Sure!  I think that's one of the many blessings of being a teacher...you can always grow and change!  Each day is fresh and you can ultimately use your expertise to guide you and lead you in a direction that leaves you feeling fulfilled and satisfied with your "teaching self."  If you don't feel great about your direction, then CHANGE IT!  Do something about it! 

I'm so excited!
I'm going to get back into the swing of things!  I can't wait to share all the ideas I've got floating in my head!  Thanks for sticking with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! :)