Thursday, June 21, 2012

Last Week of School

We finally finished school last Friday! :)  I know it's been a few days, but I am currently visiting family for the next few weeks, so my time for updating is limited.

Monday was Vacation Day.  We wrote stories and drew pictures about where we would want to go on a vacation.  We also surveyed the class to see who wanted to go on the same vacations.

Tuesday was Water Day.  I got called in to an unexpected meeting, so our time was limited for this and I wasn't able to take pictures.  We did some measurement activities with water balloons.  The kids really seemed to enjoy it, and only one little gal got REALLY soaked, although, ALL the kids that brought extra clothes HAD to change when we were finished.  "I know you can't see it, but my pants are wet, Mrs. Cypher."  Ok, ok...haha!

Wednesday was eXchange autographs day.  We had been creating Memory books about this year, so on Wednesday, I allowed them to exchange their books for autographs.  I also allowed the kids to bring in their yearbooks to get signatures as well.  This was probably the ONLY day that I EVER sent my kids late to "Kiss 'N Go" (car rider pick up), and of course, one of my kids got called over the announcements to go to the car loop IMMEDIATELY.  Whoops....

Thursday was Year End clean up, so everyone got to take home all their goodies from inside their desks.  Even though they were supposed to be doing this a little each day, some of my sweeties were STILL loaded up with HUGE bookbags.

Friday was Zip up and Zoom out of school day.  We took care of some final cleaning business, so I let the kids do some shaving cream cleaning of their desks.  This was pretty fun, and I got several comments about how nice the hallway smelled, even hours after the children left.  haha!



Sweet... :)

After we finished cleaning our desks, we shoved them all to the side of the room and cleared off the floor and did a few of Amy Lemons's Swimming into Summer Literacy Centers, which really seemed to go over well.  The kids didn't even realize that they were doing "work" because they were on the floor, in small groups, and playing "games." 




After we finished up, we took a quick trip down to the freezer to get our popsicles.  The kids were REALLY excited to go into the Teacher's Lounge.  We took our popsicles outside to the bus loop for the final send off.  All the teachers come outside with pom poms, funny hats, huge sunglasses, etc. and wave and cheer as the buses pull out.  It was definitely bittersweet for me this year since I had such a fun class this year, but I think we were all ready for a break.

Now I'm in planning mode for next year.  I'm working on our Curriculum Map for 2nd grade.  After I finish that, I should be able to post more about my ideas for Language Arts instruction for next year and how we have stepped away from using JUST the Basal for our whole group instruction time.  I am also going to be looking at how to change up our Writing and Grammar so that we can meet our NEW Virginia English Standards of Learning (SOLs...yes, take a second to think about that...).  I don't know that our Standards will align with Reading Street, so we'll see what I can come up with for that.  I'll be sure to keep you posted on what I come up with! :) 

I am also super excited to tell you about a new PENCIL SHARPENER that will change your life forever...so check back about that soon!

Have a great week!

2 comments:

  1. I'm sure your kids had lots of fun on their last day! And yes, I want to hear about the pencil sharpener!! lol

    MrsMc
    Buzz! Buzz! Buzz!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments! :)